Non EU citizens holding a visa Type D of more than 90 days, must apply for a permitof stayby 8 days from when they entered Italy at the local Police headquarter (Questura). The permit will be issued according to the entry visa (study, research, work, family, etc.).
- Who enters Italy for the first time for a period of 1 year or more will be asked to sign the Integration agreement, a credit-based approach to be fulfilled by the second year. Local Prefettura provides language and civic education sessions while foreigners are committed to meet their civic obligations.
- The permit of stay is issued by the local Police headquarter (Questura) while the application form (MOD 1, MOD 2 and additional documents) must be sent by Post.
- A fingerprinting appointment at will be scheduled by the post office at the local Police Headquarter (Questura).
- The total cost for permit up to 1 year is around €116
- You can check when the permit is ready at this website: https://www.portaleimmigrazione.it/
- Permits can be renewed provided that the conditions are still met. The renew can be asked from 60 days before the expiry date
To get support with the request please contact your host organisation or make an appointment with a local Patronato office for a free of charges support.
Study permit is issued to foreigners willing to pursue a doctoral degree (PhD) in Italy or within some type of research training fellowships holding a long-term visa for study (Type D).
The permit is issued for one year (or according to the visa duration) and it is renewable provided that the conditions are still met. The renewal can be asked from 60 days before the expiry date.
The application form must be sent by post. A fingerprinting appointment will be scheduled by the post office at the local Police Headquarter (Questura). The permit should be issued in 45-60 days only after a complete application submission.
Keep always with you the postal receipt until you get the permit of stay.
Working is allowed provided that the work contract does not exceed 20 hours per week.
- Immigration application kit (only MOD. 209 MODULO 1)
- copy of the passport
- copy of the study programme/ letter of award
- proof of sufficient means of subsistence (i.e grants, fellowships, bank statement, etc.),
- accommodation (i.e. lease contract, admission letter in students’ residence, declaration of hospitality, etc.),
- proof of health insurance
- copy of health insurance policy valid for Italy (i.e. registration at the National health system or private health policy)
- a copy of the study programme certified by the Italian Embassy/Consulate (if needed).
Additional documents can be asked from the Local Police Head Quarter (Questura) at the fingerprinting appointment scheduled by the post office when sending the kit.
- It is possible to apply for seeking employment permit (attesa occupazione) when you get the PhD title or when the conditions are met, with a duration of 9 up to 12 months;
- It is possible to apply for work permit when you receive an employed work contract proposal OR you decide to start your own business.
For information and to get support please contact the nearest EURAXESS Centre or a local Patronato
Research permit is issued to foreigners holding a long term visa for research (Type D) to carry out research activities in the framework of a hosting agreement with an acknowledged research organisation (either private or public), university, SMEs or larger company by the Ministry for University and Research (MUR).
The research project must be officially approved by the host institution with a formal document prior to the hosting agreement.
The permit of stay is issued according to the duration of the hosting agreement and for a maximum of two years. It can be renewed when the conditions are still met.
The permit can be issued to foreigners already in Italy for other purposes holding a valid permit of stay (i.e family, study, seeking employment, etc. except as a temporary refugee) without the need of an entry visa.
While waiting for the permit of stay it is possible to carry out research activities.
For information and to get support please contact your hosting organisation well in advance.
Before coming: Researcher must sign the hosting agreement (convenzione di accoglienza) sent by the host organisation, that also requests an entry clearance (Nulla Osta) for him/her. The entry visa for research is issued within 90 days.
Visa is not requested if the researcher is already in Italy with a valid permit of stay.
Upon arrival: Within 8 days from the arrival in Italy, researcher must apply for the permit of stay at the immigration office (SUI-Sportello Unico per l'Immigrazione) in Prefecture (Prefettura). The office will provide the immigration kit already filled out, to be sent by post.
Fingerprinting appointment and Permit application: The post office will schedule the appointment at the Local Police Head Quarter (Questura). The postal receipt and all the original documentation must be handed in. The permit should be issued in 45 - 60 days only after a complete application submission.
You can check when the permit is ready at this website https://www.portaleimmigrazione.it/.
Permit renewal: it can be sent from 60 days before the expiry date. If the research project is extended, the permit of stay can be renewed to cover the extended period of the research project by submitting the renewed hosting agreement.
Research activity is allowed in another EU Member state provided that the permit of stay for research is under validity and that the hosting agreement, signed in the other EU Member State includes the period of research in the second EU Member State.
- An entry visa is not requested
- Short-term mobility is allowed for maximum 180 days in a 360 days-period. The hosting organisation must sent a communication to the local Prefettura (Sportello Unico per l’Immigrazione).
- Long-term mobility is allowed for more than 180 days in a 360 days-period. The entry clearance (nulla osta) is required.
Researchers who have fully completed their research project, are allowed to keep staying in Italy:
- To search for job/research position by applying for a seeking employment permit with a duration of 9 up to 12 months;
- To start a business according to the research project by applying for a self-employed permit.
Work permit is issued for subordinate work contract (permesso di soggiorno per lavoro subordinato) or for self-employed work (permesso di soggiorno per lavoro autonomo).
It lasts for two years and it is renewable when the conditions are still met.
Holders of a permit of stay for research are entitled to apply for a work permit BEFORE the permit for research expires, only if they provide a work proposal.
- The programmes have been designed to attract and retain high skilled workers willing to come to Italy or to keep staying in the country to start their own start up there or to join a pre-existing one.
- A fast-track procedure has been designed to issue the entry visa or, for those already in Italy, to convert the permit of stay.
- The permit of stay for start up self-employment will be issued upon availability of inflow quota fixed each year by law (Decreto Flussi).
- For information about the application, requirements, etc. see: http://italiastartupvisa.mise.gov.it/#homepage