Health insurance and medical care
The Italian National Health Service – SSN (Servizio Sanitario Nazionale) is organised autonomously on a regional basis and includes public and private clinics and specialists. Registration is managed by Local Health Centre (Azienda Sanitaria Locale-ASL) and includes:
- free consultations and pharmacy prescription with general practitioners or paediatricians of the SSN;
- Emergency service, available at all main hospitals
- medical examinations with specialists upon medical examination request (impegnativa) issued by GPs or paediatricians). A fee (ticket) will be charged;
- free hospitalisation and access to day hospitals in specialised medical structures (dermatology, ophthalmology, etc.);
- Duty Doctor Service (Guardia medica), a basic medical assistance available at night (8 pm -8 am) or during bank holidays and days before bank holidays.
Please note that hospitalisation always requires a specific request from a specialised medical doctor or from a specialised medical structure.
For emergency (i.e. ambulance) the number to call is 112