ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Twente (UT)
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE12/02/2019 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Enschede
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK32.0
In the project, you will be primarily involved in research questions of two WPs, i.e., How has the development of creative industries strategies in the city of Bandung taken into account the existence and the potential role of the informal economic activities occurring in the kampongs? What is the spatial and socio-economic relationship of the kampong with the rest of the city?
Specifically, you will develop and survey the informal (creative) industries in the kampong, to understand what economic activities within the kampong fit within a creative industries designation, what the characteristics of these activities are, and their location, relationship with formal and non-formal activities within the city and outside it. You will also participate in conducting and analyzing interviews with kampong leaders, and NGOs active on the field will help to understand the relationship of the kampong with the city and with policy makers and public officials and/ or other relevant stakeholders involved in the development and implementation of creative industries strategies; and contextualize the survey’s results. You will work with secondary data (namely census and remote sensing data and GIS) to conduct the socio-economic and spatial analysis.
By focusing on the differences between pre and post strategy implementation, the spatial, social and economic analysis will allow the discussion of potential impacts such as commodification, displacement and gentrification processes that might be emerging in the kampong. We will also be attentive to other processes of change that might emerge from the temporal analysis.
You will closely collaborate with our project partners in Indonesia. You will describe your results in your contributions to the INECIS project reports as well as in publications in peer-reviewed journals and on conferences.
We offer an inspiring and challenging international environment. You will be initially employed for two years. Extension of the employment after this period is a possibility.
- Gross monthly salary between € 3637,- and € 4978,- depending on experience and qualifications in case of fulltime employment (job profile Researcher level 3).
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%
- Excellent support for research and facilities for professional and personal development.
- A solid pension scheme
- Possibilities to save up holidays for sabbatical leave
- Minimum of 41 holiday days in case of full-time employment.
At ITC, INECIS will be run by the department of Urban and Regional Planning and Geo-Information Management (PGM); therefore, the postdoctoral researcher will be based in the PGM Department.
Web site for additional job details
We are looking for a creative and motivated candidate. You should have:
- Interest in creative industries, informal economies and global South challenges.
- A PhD degree in Geography or Planning, with a strong interest in Economic Geography, GIS, Spatial Analysis, and/or public policy and governance. If you have not yet obtained your PhD degree, the PhD thesis has to be submitted before the start of the contract.
- Experience in GIS and remote sensing.
- Experience in involving stakeholders in research projects, preferably also experience in social science methods such as surveys and interviews.
- Excellent oral and written English language skills. Working knowledge of Indonesian is an asset.
- Interest to work in an interdisciplinary and international environment.
- Willingness to travel to Indonesia for stakeholder meetings and fieldwork.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Please submit your application before February 10, 2018 (choose “apply here” below). Please include (i) a detailed Curriculum Vitae (ii) a motivation letter and (iii) relevant certificates and the names and contact details of two references.
EURAXESS offer ID: 369773
Posting organisation offer ID: 52119
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.